Thermal Detonator Clips

We don't really know what was originally used but I needed a method which was as close as possible.

These are slightly modified Makita drill belt clips, which were happliy supplied by workmates, cheers guys.

I dremmelled the edges to make them slightly thinner and removed the angled base, sanded and painted them up.

The originals are at the ends of the tube, I was thinking the originals may have been joined on by rivets, like everything else on the Biker Scout. I used M3 screws, passed through adrilled hole in the clips.

I think the brackets were at the outer edges of the tube only to allow the maker to reach in with his/her fingers to fit a washer/nut on the backs.

Pics are better than words,

IMG00690-20120429-2143.jpg

IMG00692-20120429-2209.jpg

IMG00695-20120429-2210.jpg

IMG00697-20120429-2210.jpg

IMG00699-20120429-2212.jpg

IMG00700-20120429-2212.jpg

I cut the plastic thermal detonator box with a slight curvature as well.

If anybody thinks this is only on the MOM model/Blu Ray model then take a look here,

http://www.studiocre...mponbike_01.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Yes Jeff I agree, they could be a bit tighter , but pretty similar. Possibly the top curvature is a little too wide as well.

I think the MC hose is a bit too short and wanted the clips to be further apart as well,

I pinced the screen grab from your site, hope you don't mind, the reference pics you have on there are great.

As we can see from the screen grab the clips are on view and not hidden so should be seen to make our costumes more accurate.

Nice, I think that is the closest solution we have seen yet. Very creative!

Were to get these and for how much do these go if they're available as a single part?

• Like 1

The Makita belt clip can sell from 99 pence to £6 plus postage, the average price as Rob says. Try some construction workers, many guys I know remove this clip and discard them!

This clip is quite a soft metal, quite easy to cut , file ,sand and drill. It feels pretty strong as well.

I know it is not perfect, as I have said in a few other posts I have spent a long time searching for some kind of fixing bracket suitable.Money clips could work with a bit of dremelling, I suspected maybe an Army belt clip/hook/ bracket due to the originals being a gun metal appearance and LFL using old army stuff a lot, but still nothing "right".

I am quite happy with the look, it will do until I find something closer.

Yes Phil, this was cut and trimmed, they were chromed but I sanded and filed them dowm, primer coated and spray painted them matt black. I am still looking for a better method.

If you have to change the design I'd rather look into the possibilities to have it laser cut and bent from aluminum sheets and then anodised.

Guest Penn Chemist

Ah, all these details are mind boggling to the newb scout btw! Awesome work John! And they do look great. It is rough to keep all these details in mind as I begin my build but sure appreciate the detailed eye you all have for this wonderful armor!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking though the pics of the original armor and I KNOW I have seen those clips before. I think it might have been in my Coast Guard days but I could be wrong. I have thought about these until my nose bleeds and it still hasnt come to me.

Great job making up the new ones!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this tip you guys!! I just bought a pair of two of these clips from the Bay for $8.00. Things like this are a huge help. I have my SC armor on the way and am in the process of gathering parts for all of it.

Thanks again!!!!

• 1 month later...